Project 1. The flower exchange.
What is the real value of flowers? It seems impossible to equate the amount of time, effort, art and love involved in growing them. And why should we? Flowers are about beauty and joy and colour and emotion. Money can't buy that.
We wanted to create community, share abundance and make conversation instead. So, inspired by The Pixel Trade, The Bread Exchange and One Red Paper Clip we decided that for one year, from around May 2014- May 2015, we would only trade our flowers for things other than money.
Ideally, we wanted to trade for things that would help us remove the need to use money day to day. But really we just wanted to start conversations, meet new people and see where the adventure would take us. This was all pretty new to people, so we offered them some ideas to bring to the trade:
- Something you have in abundance.
- Something you have made – jams, preserves, home-brewed beer, jewellery, weavings or anything you’ve been passionately tinkering away at.
- Something you love that you think we might love – a favourite book, record, cup, or products by a beloved local maker.
- Things we could use that we would normally have to purchase – think essential household items like eco-friendly dishwashing liquid or cleaning cloths, or things that make the extended list lighter like camera film or indoor plants.
- Something that’s simply nice – what niceties would you gift a neighbour if dropping by for a cup of tea, or to say thank you to a friend for hosting a dinner party.
- Do you have a certain skill that might be useful to us – e.g. illustration, photography, furniture making, sewing, film, ACCOUNTING! – or have you simply created a piece of work you could trade.
- Something that we don’t currently make or grow ourselves – tea, coffee, chocolate, olive oil. But if you’re going to buy or source something like this to trade, consider what our thought process might be when making purchasing choices, qualities we would consider (e.g. is it organic, local, sustainable, seasonal etc), and where the purchasing is taking place (small local shop or market over a large commercial chain).
- But seriously, whatever.
People came from far and wide. Some for just a posie at our weekly veggie box delivery, some for something much more in exchange for something much bigger. It was an incredible, incredible experience that changed our lives forever and since then we have chosen to trade anything and everything we can, whenever we can! We find we need less money, meet more legends and have more fun new experiences than ever before. We haven't sold a single flower since. If you can - and you can - trade!
As a a little side note to the project we documented some of the larger trades. Not necessarily to document what got traded for what. More to document the people themselves, these strangers we could now call friends. Smiley faces. Here they are:
Project 2. The book.
Grown & Gathered - Traditional living made modern has been officially released through Plum Publishing.
You can read all about it here.
Project 3. Book 2.
Status: To be released September 2018
Pre-orders and much more coming soon.